Pages

Friday, November 13, 2009

Gift Album

For Hanukkah I am making a gift album for my grandmother. I received the scanned images of quite a few photos from the first half of my grandmother's life when her sister passed away. I have been wanting to make her an album so I though now would be the perfect time.

My goal for this album is to have a piece of art. I want the album to be very intricate and very vintage. I don't know most of the dates or the stories behind many of the photos so I am going to give my grandmother journaling cards to write about the photos and then I will adhere those to the backs of the layouts. I don't want to lose the stories behind all these photos.

When I got the September Scarlet Lime kit I immediately got the inspiration to make the album. The kit is full of rich colors, vintage papers and wonderful accents. I ordered the photos and I have started my work. So far I only have two of the nine layouts that I plan to make done.

This first page started with a photo of my grandmother (left), her mother (center), and her sister. I found the photo so striking and stylish that I really wanted to create a layout to match it. I started with the black and red papers and built on it from there. I used a lot of layering with my papers, embellishments and stamps. Finally I pulled out the Stickles to cover the title alphas and the add accents to the layout. I am very happy with how my first layout turned out and I think my grandmother will really like it.

The second page I completed has a photo of my grandmother with her immediate family. This photo was taken when she was around 12 or 13. My original intention for the album was to use the same colors through out the album, but for some reason when doing this page I kept gravitating to the pinks, grays and browns or the Basic Grey infuse line. I hand cut the flowers from on of the patterned papers from that line. For the background I used Tim Holtz masks, Black soot distress inks, and I layered a ton of older rub-ons that I had. Then came the bling. I did this layout for the bling challenge over at Frosted Designs. I added tons of Prima Say It In Crystals bling and a lot of Stickling over the details on the layout. It is hard to see all the glitter in the photo, but in real life this layout really shines.

No comments:

Post a Comment