My Bosskut Gazelle was integral to this project. I used it to cut out the snowflake, alphas, bows, smaller snowflakes, and ornaments. Once I got everything cut out I set to work assembling each letter block. Each letter is mounted on a 4x4 piece of cardstock. Then the large snowflake sits on top of that and finally comes the letter. On the large snowflakes I used a decorative flourish stamp to create swirls all over the snowflake. After I used this technique on the altered box I made for the Hanukkah swap I was in I just can't stop. It looks so good! Each snowflake I tried to stamp in a little different pattern so that each one was individual like real snowflakes. Then I inked the edges of the letters lightly with black soot Distress ink and on the tops of the letters I used icicle Stickles to create an icicle effect on the letters (I got the idea from Tim Holtz's 12 tags of Christmas).Finally I added some little die cuts that I cut using my Bosskut, some more Stickles, and some bling. I attached the letters using two different white ribbon I had and some brads. I am really happy with how it turned out and it looks great in our living room. Here is a close up of some of the letters.
My second project this week is an altered canvas that I made. Homemade is a theme for our Christmas gifts this year. With the tough times and a recent budget that my husband and I put ourselves on we wanted to make every dollar we spent really count this year for the holidays. SO we went to Hobbly Lobby and bought a few canvases with 40% off coupons and voila! You have $5 gifts that are awesome! This canvas is for my step grandmother-in law. She loves vintage and handmade crafts.
Fist I took the canvas and used Tim Holtz red pepper and gold alcohol inks for the backgrounds. I used the December Swirlydoos kit for the papers, shaped template and the poinsettia design. I distressed and inked the paper using vintage photo Distress ink. Then I stamped and embossed the flourishes using a Tim Holtz stamp and a Zing embossing powders with a glitter and metallic finish. Then I used the bracket doodling template that was included in the kit to make the half bracket and the little sun ray design. I stenciled the words. For the poinsettia chipboard I used the red pepper alcohol ink for the flower portion and the covered the leaves in green Stickles. Finally I added some dimensional gift stickers and I mixed perfect pearls silver and gold powders with water and flicked them onto the canvas for a bit of a sparkly snow effect. Here is another view of the project.